AMPS members were recently treated to the collection, which is not generally open to the public. Here’s a link to lots of photos and additional information: Fort Benning Armor and Cavalry Collection.
Just added all of the photos I could find from previous shows in the last few years. You can find them under the heading of It’s Showtime.
The June/July meeting was well attended with 9 chapter members present.
Chapter poker chips were distributed and appeared to be well received.
The first chapter contest (open to the public) was then discussed.
- The contest will use AMPS rules and categories. All categories will be open with the exception of the “Masters” category, since there are no AMPS-certified “Masters” within the chapter or the local area.
- On-line contest registration will be available via the chapter website and its Facebook page. Bob Edwards will be responsible for updating the site and FB in that regard.
- In addition to the individual category awards, there will be a “Best of Show” award (TBD). Criteria and award for “Best of Show” TBD.
- Per AMPS rules, a person may enter multiple times in any given category, however, only the highest scored entry is eligible for an award. There is no limit to the number of categories a participant may enter. Skill levels will be same as AMPS.
- Participants will be charged a base rate of $10 for up to three entries (aggregate). There will be an additional $1 an entry charge beyond the initial three (e.g., someone enter 7 models for a total of $14.)
- Awards will be custom poker chips as shown at the meeting. Bob Edwards will fund the purchase for later reimbursement. Dog tags will also be considered at a future date. The order for the chips consists of 100 “bronze,” 100 “silver” and 100 “gold chips.
- Advertising will be by chapter website, the chapter Facebook page, distribution of flyers at regional shows (via chapter members), signage at John’s Models, word-of-mouth and presentations at other local modeling clubs. Flayers to be designed by Bob Edwards, after electronic review by chapter members (via emails and Facebook).
- Contest will be held the same Saturday as the annual IPMS “Modeleer” swap meet on 13 November. Entry cut-off is 11 AM. Contest results will be announced at 3 PM, with participants who have to leave early having the option of picking up packets beforehand. John will make the hobby shop available the evening (from 5 until at least 7:30 PM)before the contest to pre-register any individual. He is also providing tables and chairs for use either inside or outside (depending on weather conditions). Chapter members agreed to also bring folding tables and chairs with them, if it appears advance interest warrants.
- Traditional judging methods may have to be modified to accommodate availability of judges, who may also be vendors. Most chapter members indicated they would participate and also be willing to help out in whatever capacity needed.
- Ed Daniels, who has run several contests in the past in the Mobile area, will be asked for input for the running of the contest. Ed was not available for the meeting, due to illness.
Following the lengthy discussion of the contest, a discussion was held concerning track tips and techniques and members showed some of their most recent work.
John highlighted new items of interest.
With that, the meeting adjourned around 2:45PM.
Jsut added some photos and comments from my recent visit to this great little museum. You can read all about it here.
Just finish posting some comments and photos concerning the Modelpalooza 2019 Show in Kissimmee FL in October. You can find it here.
Just a reminder that the October meeting will be held at John’s Models this coming Saturday. Build session starts at noon, with a meeting at 1:30. Since the meeting conflicts with several shows — Modelpalooza in Orlando and another one in Louisiana — and many chapter members plan on attending one or the other, there is no set agenda. Your humble correspondent will be going to Orlando, so I cannot attend.
Here’s the link for Modelpalooza: https://modelpalooza.org/
Here’s the link for the “Cajun Modelfest” in Baton Rouge LA: https://calendar.ipmsusa3.org/event/cajun-modelfest-33
Finally finished the FAuN L900 and trailer in the form of a vignette. If interested, here’s the link.
Held at the HobbyTown USA affiliate in Mobile AL, the contest featured a large number of Gundam entries, but the armor category was relatively well represented with several dozen kits. Surprisingly, there were few aircraft and no nautical entries.
The Armorgators were well represented by Mike Frisch and your humble correspondent, both of whom won awards. Follow the link for some more images…
Members who would like to introduce themselves to the chapter via these pages are invited to do so by submitting material to me for inclusion on the Meet Our Members page.
So far, I’m the only one who has opted to do so. As much as I enjoy reading about myself, I already know most of the plot.
Here’s your chance to gain international fame and notoriety, thanks to the thousands who view these pages daily! 🙂
I recently added my models to the mix to show what options are available: Bob’s Models. If you have any models you’d like to show the chapter, here’s your opportunity.
Take care until the next meeting!